Thursday, March 18, 2004

{let's talk fashion} Tweed, the ultimate in classy fabrics


I’m just going to say that “tweed” is the word for the month… no, make that the season. Am I right or am I right?

I am an avid reader of a certain weekly magazine and I know that it was announced a month ago that tweed is the new black. But hey, I only get to write this column every other week, so sometimes you readers just have to wait for my fashion forecast.

No matter, I have to admit that I enjoy the material, or pattern, and even my mom bought a pink tweed jacket when I traveled up to beautiful San Francisco two weeks ago.

This brings up a good point, reader of my column. Tweed is a fabric that all ages can enjoy. Why? Because it has to be, in my opinion, the definition of classic. Even “level-headed” Jessica Simpson paired it with a pair of jeans for her appearance on Live! With Regis and Kelly.

Now, as we all know, the bandwagon that I love to jump on and ride around town in is the one where I can stand up and say that women need to present themselves in a respectful light. Tweed jackets fit well, ladies, because they are so age defying and classy, and if I happen to find some pants in that same fabric, I will be the first to purchase them. Call me crazy but I enjoy things like this… don’t ask me why.

Oh! Newsflash: it’s still cold outside! That’s right… that’s fog swiftly moving atop the ocean, not some sort of sun-mist that you’re staring at outside your window. So that means wear pants and long-sleeved things. Just don’t be cold; Mom doesn’t like you getting sick.

Anyway, so there’s tweed. But get this, as we all know, trucker hats are out – um, yeah, now you know so take it off – but Ashton began another craze that has hit L.A. hard.

It’s not the fedora… no, no, no. the fad (because this one, as well, is going to fly out the door by next month) is religious wear. We have seen over the past year the “Jesus is my Homeboy” shirts all over the place – worn by the likes of Jennifer Garner and Pammy Anderson. But those tees are only the beginning.

Hollywood is going religion-happy after Mel Gibson’s release of “The Passion of the Christ” last month, and there is a sudden manifestation of celebs wanting to wear things that promote religion. Notice the influx of made-for-TV “Jesus” movies?

Now I read about this fad in a magazine that I am forced (wink, wink) to read at my internship, so I know it’s the truth. But I don’t know how these shirts and other items of clothing will come about, or what clever sayings they will bear.

Just note that the “Homeboy” shirts aren’t the only shirts that Urban Outfitters is selling down on Third Street. My apartment-mate also has a “God Squad” shirt that represents the essence of the Trinity. I mean, how great is that? I think it’s a simple way to spread the Word… but I could just be insane. I think you should check some of these things out… I don’t know, maybe buy something.

That’s right, cohorts, I am encouraging you to go out and purchase a shirt that mocks all that you know and borders on the blasphemous… but it’s all for the sake of fashion, right? Right.

Life is too short to live it by the wayside, watching everyone else wear red while you sit and wear a pale taupe color. Unless you really like taupe – it looks good on many skin tones.

Anyway, the idea here is to think outside the box. Some may hate what you wear and judge you for it; forget them. Wear that shirt from your wacky wardrobe to church and discuss the pros and cons of its message.

Find a color that you’ve never worn and dress it up for your class on Tuesday morning. Take that sweatshirt that you wear every day, toss it on your bed, and throw on a button up shirt.

Wear white.

If you like army green, wear it.

Your fashion is all about you. So play it up and flatter yourself. It doesn’t matter what sex you are, as long as you know who you are and what you like. Because, in the end, it doesn’t matter if people see who you are by what you wear, it matters if you like what you see in the mirror bright and early each morning.

No comments: