Thursday, February 5, 2004

{let's talk fashion} Fleecy February fashions for fun Valentine's Day functions

It's the first week of February, reader-friends, and so I must urge you to do one thing for me: wear red!

I know it's an uncanny thing that I suggest with such fervor to wear a color that is historically over-worn Valentine's Week but that is just one reason I do it... because next week everyone is going to be in the lovey dovey mood and you'll just be another floating scarlet mist in a sea of crimson hues.

You want to stand out today, right now, right here. While you and I are thinking about it and on the subject, I do hope you fall in love or something before the fateful day of Saint Valentine (you do have more than a week). Anyway, enough sweetheart talk... it sorta makes me ill. But not really. I received fantastic feedback from you all, oh readers of my column, in regards to article numero uno. I must say that I enjoy hearing your sweet woes and your joys over the words that I pen. keep letting me know what you want to hear!

In fact, would you let me know what you want to hear, er, read? No one really helped with that last time so I must insist on making you read my opinions and thoughts. How about this one: stop wearing jeans and accompanying skirts. Is this trend for real? I seriously thought that fad went in and out of 2000 without seeing the light of a new millennium. Who's bringing it back? Hint: it shouldn't be you.

Enough of that. Let's talk winter wear. Groundhog Day was Monday and, let's face it, we really don't have any idea how long winter will really last, but, nonetheless it's here for at least six more weeks. Live in the present.

I love scarves; I am the first to admit it. Ergo I am not in support, Ladies, of scarves and tanks. If that's not an oxymoron then what, pray tell, is? Why would one leave the house in a tank with a scarf wrapped around the whole of the neck? Anyway, I'm asking too many questions. Let's get some facts out there. (I didn't say statistics, I said facts... If you want a statistic: 78 percent of our campus has fallen smitten to this most awkward fad. And yes, I definitely just made that up.)

Anyway, I can understand that we're in Malibu and it's slightly warm here (though my thermometer says "no go on tank tops") and we also want to feel as though we're part of winter but isn't there another way? I'm going to be that voice you choose to ignore every morning when you put on that short skirt in 50-degree weather (I can also be called "Mom"). When we dress in clothes that are designed for summer when it's wintertime, we look ridiculous. That's right, ridiculous. People are lying to us when they say that we "look so cute" in our miniskirt and bare arms. I mean, yes, we would look cute if we were at a beach party in July, be we are talking February here.

Don't lie to yourself either... we all know Uggs don't make your entire body warm when you're wearing a skirt that hits just about eight inches above the knee. How about we play a game of catch? I'll toss a remedy out there, catch it if you will. Take your scarf, wrap it around your neck so it hangs down both sides, and button up your cinched jean jacket just under the chest; couple that with some matching linen pants and you've got yourself a light and airy, yet classic, winter outfit - perfect for the temperate Malibu weather.

In fact, you would look great in a pair of light pink pants, a white tank or shirt, a dark fitted jacket, and a red and pink striped scarf for that hot date that you're planning a week from now. Another great thing you can pair that scarf with is the red that you are going to wear this weekend before the rush to crimson comes at the end of next week. I have to admit, I feel that it would be a stupendous outfit indeed.

Now I have to digress from women's fashions for a moment because I do have some faithful male readers and I love you all. Senior Jared Battaglia is trying to bring back the fleece vest. Now, I don't know how I feel about this but I would like your thoughts on it. He is also attempting a rash comeback of the corduroy blazer. This indeed might be too much to stomach all at once but I have to admit that it is a noble endeavor on Jared's part.

Friends, love is in the air and corduroy is on the horizon. Tell me what you think. Until then, wear red; don't wear jeans with skirts; and keep light, airy, and warm with you scarves over the next month until we hit spring break. You are going to look and feel fabulous!

No comments: